miyanoura dake

miyanoura dake

taking a rest

taking a rest

emerging from the forest

emerging from the forest

magical forest

magical forest

gnarly stump

gnarly stump

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Alive and kicking

I'm recovering from a week of sickness - a bad throat infection. The hardest thing was that I had to keep teaching, even without much of a voice. They don't really believe in sick days here. It's been a struggle aligning myself with that reality, but I guess that's part of the process. 

The next challenge will be finding a way to make my classes more engaging. The lessons come ready to deliver, and I have been doing them just as we were trained, by the book. But the students get bored and restless, and act up more than they would if lessons were more interesting. So I need to find ways to get them moving around and maybe incorporate small incentives such as cheap toys, etc. After all, they're kids and that kind of stuff motivates them. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

I haven't had much spare time yet, but I did find one rock climbing gym in a nearby city and found out about another one in my own city that I have yet to visit. I also did some more hiking, solo this time up Mt. Surisan.  One thing I'd like to start soon is studying Korean more seriously. I may take a class or get some materials, or both. Well, my battery power is low. More updates to come when I get my own internet connection. I hope everyone at home (and everywhere else) is doing well, and I'd love to hear from you all.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ted :)

    Sorry to hear you were so sick. It has hit the Hale house as well! It sounds like you are doing well and I am enjoying reading your blog! Keep the pics coming...my girls are enjoying them as well.

    Stay safe and have fun!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete